During each legislative session, GAR fights hard to protect private property rights as well as the business practices of our members. Below are some examples of our victories over the years.
- Passed Legislation that allows REALTORS® to engage in short sale transactions that had previously been interpreted by the Banking Department as illegal.
- Successfully limited local government's ability to register vacant and foreclosed properties by creating statewide standards that all local governments must follow.
- Protected REALTORS® ability to collect and distribute escrow funds.
- Worked with broad business coalitions to successfully strengthen laws to prevent metal theft.
- Prevented attempts to place a legal duty on real estate agents to provide their client's contact information to code enforcement officers if requested
- Amended disclosure portion of real estate license law to protect our members from burdensome requirements and undue legal liability after member was sued for not disclosing MLS fees
- Passed legislation to allow independent contractors to pool together for insurance purposes in Georgia
- Defeated legislation to mandate a termite inspection prior to closing
- Passed an $1,800 statewide homebuyer tax credit
- Prevented statewide point-of-sale plumbing retrofit mandates
- Protected water rights for Georgia property owners by preserving our riparian rights system
- Passed legislation to regulate Appraisal Management Companies (AMC's)
- Ensured that private property owners maintain their right to dictate whether firearms are permitted on their property
- Passed legislation to reform Georgia's property tax assessment and appeals process
- Prevented local government from registering residential rental property
- Prevented cities and counties in Georgia from charging individual agents a business license fee for each jurisdiction in which they conduct business
- Blocked a 6% state sales tax on real estate commissions
- Prevented real estate brokers from paying worker's compensation for individual agents
2013 GAR Legislative Accomplishments: /Portals/0/docs/GARPAC/Legislative Review 2013.pdf
2012 GAR Legislative Accomplishments: /Portals/0/docs/GARPAC/Advocacy/2012 Legislative Session Wrap Up.docx
2011 NAR Legislative Accomplishments: http://www.realtor.org/government_affairs/reg_leg_accomplishments